Thursday, July 17, 2014

Time for unplanned decisions

Well after over stimulating on my meds the RE gave me two choices as far as what to do with the remainder of my cycle.

Option 1: I could cancel the entire thing so even though I had paid for and used half my medicine I would have to stop and wait for my period to start which also meant NO SEX with my husband basically until that happened so the possibility of fertilizing one of the 15 eggs that had magical appeared wouldn't be there.

Option 2: We could convert the cycle over to an IVF cycle,for a reduced cost/rate, (I feel like saying it that makes them sound like they are on sale)
Mind you I'm having this conversation at about 6:40AM and I have to go work right after. I assume that by the look of sheer amazement mixed with overwhelming confusion and uncertainty the nurse steps in and says "Oh you don't have to make the decision right now. " I breathe a sigh of relief tell them I'll talk to my husband and let them know. They instruct me to get dressed and meet the nurse in the hall when I'm done. My mind is literally racing and all I keep thinking is what am I going to tell Mr. B.

I meet the nurse in the hall and find that she neglected to tell me one piece of VITAL info I needed to make my decision before noon that day because they needed both me and my husband to come in for bloodwork, forms, and consent to get everything started right away. So much for not making the decision right away.
So at 6:50 in the morning I'm waking a very sleep induced coma Mr. B out of his sleep to try and explain how my body went into overdrive. This of course takes alot of explaining and repeating on my part even though I started off the convo with "Babe we need to have an important conversation so I need you to wake up for me..." After I explain it all his only response is, "Oh wow! How much is that going to be?" (A flair for the dramatic that one is.)
Once I got to work I received a call from the insurance and financial coordinator stating that our insurance would cover our switch to IVF if that's what we chose... No pressure though. *eyeroll* I call Mr. B back to explain this extra piece of info I now had and luckily it was much easier because he was only half sleep because I guess his head was spinning with info.
So just like that before 8:30 that morning we had decided to have an IVF cycle and the ball started rolling with consent forms,  bloodwork, a shot of medicine injected into my stomach, and a date of 4 days later to do an Egg Retrieval...
What would you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment